Friday, December 23, 2011

Homemade Tortillas recipe

I got this recipe when I was about 10 years old (38 years ago!) In fifth grade, I had Mr. Sotelo's class. Totally bilingual. I loved it. We learned to make tortillas in the class, by hand. I kept the recipe all these years, but haven't made them in years. So, I thought I would adapt it slightly. I'm making the dough in my breadmaker & using my brand new tortilla press! I'm also subbing coconut oil for the lard in the original recipe.

2/3 cup filtered water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 cups organic flour

Add all ingredients, in above order, to your breadmaker's pan. Set to dough cycle & start. It is usually 90 minutes total for the mixing and rising of the dough.

After cycle is done, remove ball of dough. Pull off small chunks of dough and roll into smaller balls by hand.
Put small ball onto middle of 7.5-inch cast iron tortilla press between 2 sheets of wax paper (reuse these sheets for each tortilla.) Press down on handle until ball is flattened.

Remove and place on cast iron comal on medium-high heat.
Turn over after about 30 seconds.
Cook for about 30 seconds more. Then stack tortillas between small sheets of wax paper to prevent sticking.
Makes approximately 12 four-inch tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment