Saturday, December 21, 2013

Resistant Starch Experiment and Kefir

I have spent most of the morning reading up on resistant starch (which is NOT a real starch, it is a fiber.) I got interested recently in it when Steve Cooksey (The Diabetes Warrior) started posting about his experiments with it and where he got the idea. So, I have been reading more about it all on Richard Nikoley's blog, Feed The Animal. I am going to start on it and by next month, I will have my mom on it. I am not diabetic, but she is. The LCHF (adapted Paleo) lifestyle has done wonders for both of us. But, this may help a bit more. I am starting with 1 tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch a day and will work my way up to 3 or 4. I am splitting it up. A teaspoon, 3 times a day, mixed in liquid. Right now, I have 1 teaspoon in my milk kefir with vanilla and maple syrup. I'll have some in water later and also in my milk with dinner. Potato starch has no real flavor, so can be put in many things easily. I think this would help a lot of people to add this to their food, as it works a bit like a pre-biotic and helps feed the pro-biotics in your gut. Most of us, at some point in our lives, took antibiotics and killed most (if not all) the good bacteria in our bodies and absolutely HAVE to re-populate them to thrive. Grocery-store yogurt WILL NOT do it. (If you are outside of the US and Bob's Red Mill is cost prohibitive, I think Encona Farina is the equivalent in the UK - from what I read on the Feed The Animal blog comments.)

As for my milk kefir. I've had it hibernating in the fridge since my farmer dried up his last cow. The other is due in January, so hopefully, I will start getting colostrum and then milk soon after from them. But, I have missed my kefir. So, I just changed out the milk. The kefir is a bit more sour than I like, but still very good. The weird thing is, the jar that had raw milk had HUGE kefir grains. The jar that had pasteurized (Straus Whole Milk) hadn't grown at all. That is after more than a month in the fridge. My grains had gotten used to the raw and thrived on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment